18. June 2015 16:00
A chiropractic adjustment, also known as spinal manipulation, is a specialized non-invasive procedure performed to treat a wide range of health conditions. It involves applying controlled and sudden pressure to a vertebral joint with the help of fingers or specific chiropractic equipment. The treatment aims at restoring structural alignment and overall physical functioning of the body.
Chiropractic adjustments are mainly based on three principles:
- The body has a natural ability to heal itself.
- All the components of the body’s structure (bones, nerves, ligaments etc.) are interconnected.
- Gently manipulating the spine helps to maintain body’s structure and function to further promote self-healing.
Benefits Of Chiropractic Adjustments
- Eliminate Pain: The body undergoes a lot of stress due to a physically demanding job, intense workout or rigorous daily routine. As a result, people usually suffer from various musculoskeletal dysfunctions that can cause severe pain, if not treated in time. Chiropractic adjustments are specifically targeted at eliminating stress from the core and providing complete relief from pain.
- Restore Joint Motion: As a chiropractor manipulates the spine, it relaxes the muscles, thus restoring the joints original range of motion. Chiropractic adjustments can help to reinstate functioning in the back, neck, shoulder, hips, knees and many other parts of the body.
- Better Body Functioning: Besides improving the musculoskeletal functioning, spinal adjustments also play a significant role in enhancing overall well-being. It helps to increase the flow of oxygen and blood, reduce muscle spasms, control the level of lactic acid and ensure balanced nutrients throughout the body to ensure a faster recovery.
- Relieve Stress: A chiropractic adjustment involves manipulating the spine, which is responsible for transmitting stress signals from the brain to various body parts. As a result, it relieves the associated symptoms of stress such as muscle tension, high blood pressure and sleeping issues while assisting your body in returning to a relaxed state.
- Improve Posture: Chiropractic adjustments help to address common postural issues such as tilting, hunchback, height differences, rounded shoulders, and incorrect stance. It works on the spine and aims at correcting the exact origin of pain.
We, at Corrective Chiropractic & Wellness, provide chiropractic adjustments to help patients lead a healthy and active life. For more information about our chiropractic services or to schedule an appointment, you can call at (254) 698 – 1600 or visit the clinic at 560 E. Central Texas Expressway, Suite 102, Harker Heights, TX 76548.
11. June 2015 16:10
Inter-Segmental Traction is a gentle and effective chiropractic therapy used to treat muscle spasms and other spine related problems. Any misalignment in the spinal joints obstructs the proper circulation of nutrients and can cause the discs to wear out or degenerate over time. When these spinal joints are manipulated in Inter-Segmental Traction, it improves circulation of fluids around the discs and allows the nutrients to enter into them. IST, Inter-Segmental Traction, increases and restores motion, elasticity and improves mobility in the spine. The therapy improves spine health and is suitable for people of all ages.
How Inter- Segmental Traction works?
Inter-Segmental Traction therapy is a painless and non-invasive treatment method for various spinal problems. It is delivered by a trained chiropractor on a special traction table. The table has vibrating rollers underneath its surface that continuously move up and down the spine, reducing muscle spasms and providing relaxation. The intensity of the rollers can be adjusted, depending upon the chiropractic condition and weight of the patient, so that the roller movement can stretch the spinal joint and relax the muscles. When this occurs, the spinal vertebrae can move normally and the discs are positioned to their original place. Inter-Segmental Therapy is even more effective when used in conjunction with chiropractic adjustments.
Benefits of Inter-Segmental Traction therapy
- The therapy restores the normal movement of the vertebrae
- It prevents the abnormal damage to the vertebral discs
- It prevents further injury of the disc
- The therapy is non-invasive and painless
- The gentle rolling action exercises the spine
- It reduces muscle spasms and spinal subluxations
- It increases blood circulation and oxygen flow to the disc, muscles and ligaments
- It improves the elasticity, strength, balance and mobility of the spine
- It reduces spinal muscle tension
- It prevents disc degeneration
- It accelerates recovery from back injuries or chronic back issues
- It reduces the development of Spinal Arthritis
We, at Corrective Chiropractic & Wellness, perform Inter-Segmental Traction therapy to increase mobility and reduce degeneration and thinning of discs. To schedule an appointment with our chiropractors, call at (254) 698- 1600 or visit 560 E. Central Texas Expressway, Suite 102 Harker Heights, TX 76548.
4. June 2015 17:49
Common cold and flu are viral infections that affect the respiratory system and spread through sneezing and coughing. Colds affect the nose and throat, whereas, flu affects the lungs. Patient suffering from cold and flu usually experiences sore throat, stuffy nose, sneezing, coughing, and swelling of sinuses, headaches, tiredness and fever. If you have flu you may suffer from chills, muscle aches and high fever.
Acupuncture is a popular alternative medicine that is extensively used for treating cold and flu. The Chinese medical practice helps in preventing the problem by boosting the immune system.
How Acupuncture works to prevent cold and flu
- Boosts immunity: Acupuncture works by strengthening the immune system of the body. It is believed that everyone has some inherited weaknesses that make him vulnerable to viral infections that can cause cold and flu. The Chinese alternative therapy boosts the immune system by invigorating the organs of the body with fresh fluids and blood, cleansing the system and boosting the body’s defensive barrier against foreign invaders. It helps relieve symptoms by activating the natural killer cells and reducing pain by releasing endorphins. Acupuncture also reduces inflammation by increasing circulation.
- Increases healing: Acupuncture is believed to increase healing and offer relief from the symptoms. Some sessions of treatment not only heal the symptoms but also slow down the progression of the infection.
- Balances Qi: Qi is the defensive energy that surrounds the body and protects it. Acupuncture aims at balancing the Qi energy and helps you resist cold and flu.
What Happens during Acupuncture Treatment
During Acupuncture treatment, extremely thin needles are inserted at various locations of the body including legs, arms and back. These needles are left in the body for nearly 30 minutes. The treatment does not cause much pain and make the patient feel relaxed. By visiting an acupuncturist regularly or at the time of season change, you can strengthen the immune system. By having treatment prior to the appearance of symptoms of cold, you can significantly reduce the chances of getting an infection or cold and flu.
The acupuncturists also recommend a balanced diet and certain lifestyle changes to have effective results and cure cold as well as flu. Acupuncture is a safe, drug free, natural treatment that regulates the body and promotes healing.
Corrective Chiropractic & Wellness provides comprehensive acupuncture services. To schedule an appointment, you can call at (254) 698 – 1600 or visit the clinic at 560 E. Central Texas Expressway, Suite 102, Harker Heights, TX 76548.
21. May 2015 13:24
Arthritis is a chronic degenerative condition causing pain and inflammation in one or many joints of the body. The term ‘Arthritis’ is used to denote various types of joint conditions such as Osteoarthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Gout, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Fibromyalgia, and Rheumatism etc. The condition is more prone to people aged 65 years or more and can affect any joint of the body. It can be caused due to age related wear and tear in the joint cartilage, family history of Arthritis, abnormal metabolism, injury to the joint, infection, overactive immune system, repetitive physical activity that puts strain on the joint, obesity etc.
How Acupuncture Can Help?
Acupuncture involves inserting fine needles at particular points in your skin. The needles may be stimulated manually, by heat or by a small electrical current. Acupuncture relieves the primary symptoms of Arthritis by diverting the painful sensations sent to the brain from damaged tissues and by stimulating the body’s pain-relieving hormones.
Acupuncture relieves the pain associated with Arthritis in three different ways:
- It triggers the release of endorphins in the body that impedes the patient’s ability to feel pain.
- By working through the nervous system, acupuncture restricts the sensory nerve fibers to transmit pain signals to the brain.
- Acupuncture neutralizes trigger points. These are the reactive areas, commonly found near the Arthritic joints, which are responsible for chronic pain.
Acupuncture points for Arthritis are located throughout the body and not just around the affected joint. A typical acupuncture session may last from 5 to 30 minutes where fine needles are inserted along the patient’s arms, shoulder legs or toes. Besides pain, acupuncture can also help relive or control other symptoms of the two main forms of Arthritis, Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis, in the following way.
- Osteoarthritis: A gradual wearing and build of calcium in the joint cartilage, restricting its mobility, characterize the condition. Acupuncture, in this case, works by triggering the parathyroid glands to produce hormones that remove arthritic deposits from the bones.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: This condition is characterized by pain, swelling, warmth and redness in and around the arthritic joint. In order to provide relief to the patient, acupuncture triggers the adrenal glands to produce body’s natural steroid hormones that may reduce inflammation. It also works by inactivating the trigger points near the joints so that the patient does not feel any pain even after the inflammation has subsided.
We, at Corrective Chiropractic & Wellness, provide comprehensive acupuncture care for different types of Arthritis. To schedule an appointment with our acupuncturists, you can call at (254) 698 – 1600 or visit the clinic at 560 E. Central Texas Expressway, Suite 102, Harker Heights, TX 76548.
14. May 2015 20:10
Chiropractic care is important for the elderly due to the changes that occur in the spine with increasing age. The spinal discs, facet joints, ligaments, muscles and other spinal tissues become weaker, more fibrotic and less able to withstand normal stresses. Spinal pain is a significant musculoskeletal problem among older patients and chiropractic care can provide the much needed relief.
Benefits of chiropractic care in the elderly:
- Full range of motion: A misaligned spine and neck causes friction in the nerve endings, thus affecting the balance and co-ordination of the body. Chiropractic care helps in adjusting the spine, which enables full range of motion and increases mobility and flexibility in the body.
- Pain relief: Chiropractors are trained to pinpoint and treat misalignment in the vertebrae, which affects the central nervous system. They treat the abnormalities in the spine that causes severe pain in the elderly. Chiropractic care offers relief from pain, mild or chronic.
- Decrease in joint and tissue degeneration: A misaligned spinal cord does not function properly and thus, degenerates prematurely. Chiropractic care reduces the spinal stress, prevents early wearing out of the spine and the tissues around it. It helps in avoiding arthritic conditions in the elderly by bringing back the alignment of the spine to normal.
- Reduction in the risk of falling: Elderly people are more prone to falling due to spinal and nervous misalignment. Regular chiropractic care improves flexibility, movement, coordination and balance in the body. It normalizes the mechanoreceptors of the cervical spine, thus reducing the risk of falling in the elderly.
- Less requirement of assistance: Adults seeking regular chiropractic care are less prone to medical conditions such as Arthritis or Osteoporosis. They are inclined towards staying fit and being able to take care of themselves.
- Better health: Regular chiropractic care ensures a better quality of life, health and general well being of an elderly person.
- Curing insomnia: Due to many pain and aches it becomes difficult for the elderly to sleep. Relief from such problems with chiropractic care reduces insomnia and enables sound sleep.
- Better posture: Chiropractic care manipulates the spine and leads to better posture. It reduces muscle stiffness and helps in preventing certain medical disorders.
Chiropractic care, thus, helps to improve the quality of life and enables one to enjoy old age.
For effective chiropractic services for elderly, consult the chiropractors at Corrective Chiropractic & Wellness. To schedule an appointment, call at (254) 698 - 1600 or visit 560 E. Central Texas Expressway, Suite 102 Harker Heights, TX 76548.
7. May 2015 15:51
Chiropractic rehabilitation programs are designed to help the body heal quickly and lower the risk of injuries in the future. It involves the integration of multiple chiropractic therapies and exercises to target the underlying muscle imbalance and weakness in the body. Chiropractic rehabilitation assists in alleviating the underlying causes of pain in the body.
Corrective Chiropractic & Wellness clinic provides chiropractic rehabilitation services to the patients in Killeen, TX. The chiropractors at the clinic assist in healing and promoting health in the patients and devise individual treatment programs.
A chiropractic rehabilitation program at Corrective Chiropractic & Wellness mainly includes the following:
- Stretching Exercises: The chiropractors prescribe specialized stretching exercises to help the patients increase blood circulation to the affected area, improve joint flexibility and restore the normal range of motion.
- Strengthening Exercises: Chiropractic rehabilitation also involves strengthening exercises to regain the lost muscle strength. It not only helps to recover from injuries but also prevent them in future.
- Patient Education: The rehabilitation program lays special focus on educating the patients about the benefits of the exercises. The chiropractors design a tailored program to accommodate the individual needs of each patient considering their condition, preference and age.
Benefits Of Chiropractic Rehabilitation
- Effective Treatment For Sports Injuries: Chiropractic rehabilitation is an effective treatment option for a wide range of sports injuries of the musculoskeletal system. These injuries may occur while playing sports and can affect the joints in the body. Muscular adjustments bring back the joint to its normal alignment, allowing for correct movement and reducing the risk of potential problems.
- Improve Balance And Prevent Falls: Joint instability and muscle damage may result in unexpected falls and injuries. Chiropractic rehabilitation helps to strengthen the muscles and other connective tissues such as ligaments and tendons, to help patients lead a safe and pain free life. It also improves joint flexibility, posture and gait to prevent falls.
- Avoid Medication And Surgery: Chiropractic rehabilitation is a safe option to promote faster recovery from injuries. You can benefit from the stretching and strengthening exercises without any medications or surgery. It is a non-invasive technique to promote healing from injuries and muscle strength.
To know more about the chiropractic rehabilitation program offered at Corrective Chiropractic & Wellness, call at (254) 698 – 1600 or visit the clinic at 560 E. Central Texas Expressway, Suite 102, Harker Heights, TX 76548.
20. April 2015 13:44
Maintaining a good posture is very essential to maintain a healthy body. Posture affects each and every physiological function of the human body, right from hormone production to appropriate breathing. Many people have a distorted posture due to siting in front of the TV or computer screens for long hours. This can lead to forward head posture and drooping shoulders, which can cause back and shoulder pains.
Corrective Chiropractic & Wellness offers specialized posture correction services to assist people optimize the form and function of their bodies. Using a combination of posture exercises, chiropractic manipulations and tractioning procedures, they can help you attain as well as maintain the ideal posture.
Common posture problems treated at Corrective Chiropractic & Wellness include:
- Rounded Shoulders: This is a result of an uneven exercise routine and muscle imbalance. Over time, it leads to poor positioning of the shoulders and pain or stiffness in the neck.
- Hunchback: This is a common condition symptomized by an abnormal curvature of the upper back. Hunched back is usually seen in people who have poor sitting habits while working on computer.
- Pelvis Tilted Forward: This is associated with people who wear high heels, have excessive belly fat or are pregnant. Patients with this posture problem experience chronic pain in the lower back, leg weakness, improper blood circulation in lower extremities etc.
- Slouching In The Chair: The reason why most people sit slumped is due to weakness in the core muscles. It puts a lot of pressure on the ligaments, soft tissues and several other important structures in the lower back.
The chiropractors carefully analyze the spinal problems faced by the patient as well as the damage to the spine. This includes evaluating the spinal alignment and curvature, with a view to determine the contributing factors to the abnormal posture. Once these are identified, these can be corrected and the normal curvature of the spine can be restored. They perform spinal adjustments that gently move your vertebrae back into their original place and eliminate pressure from the muscles in your back, neck as well as shoulder.
For more information about the posture correction services offered by Corrective Chiropractic & Wellness, you can call at (254) 698 – 1600 or visit the clinic at 560 E. Central Texas Expressway, Suite 102, Harker Heights, TX 76548.
13. April 2015 13:39
Pregnancy comes along with a number of emotional, physical and physiological changes in a woman’s body to allow for the development of fetus in the womb. The body releases various hormones in order to relax the ligaments and make room for the baby. However, these changes, accompanied with an enlarged abdomen, prominently curved back and altered pelvic structure can lead to misalignment of the spine and other joints.
Perinatal chiropractic care is aimed at maintaining an optimal spinal and pelvic alignment, thus, providing for a more comfortable pregnancy and ultimately preparing for an easier birth. The Webster technique used by the chiropractors seeks to minimize the effects of sacral subluxation or SI joint dysfunction.
Benefits Of Perinatal Chiropractic Care
- Prevent Pregnancy Symptoms: Seeking perinatal chiropractic care can prevent or reduce the common symptoms associated with pregnancy. These may include nausea, back, neck and joint pain etc. Chiropractic adjustments can also help shorten the time spent in labor and delivery.
- Establish Pelvic Balance: During pregnancy, the uterus gets expanded and may lead to misalignment of the pelvis. This may cause pain and discomfort to the mother as well as the baby. Perinatal chiropractic care can help in eliminating pain by regulating body alignment and pelvic balance, allowing for a normal development of the baby.
- Help in Safe Delivery: Chiropractic adjustments help to align the body in a way that allows the baby to naturally take the proper position for delivery. This helps to make the delivery easier and minimize the chances of obstructed labor or C-section delivery.
- Relieve Post-Pregnancy Back Pain: Following childbirth, mothers may experience changes in the pelvic biomechanics. Simple chiropractic manipulations and stretching exercises can help to restore the pelvic balance. It can also help to relieve middle back pain as a result of breast feeding, bottle feeding or rocking the baby to sleep.
Perinatal chiropractic care is essential to maintain a healthy pre and post-natal period. However, you must take your doctor’s consent before opting for chiropractic adjustments. Also, the exercises should be performed carefully to avoid any sort of complication.
We, at Corrective Chiropractic & Wellness, offer complete perinatal chiropractic care for the would-be mothers in Killeen, TX. For more information, feel free to call us at (254) 698 – 1600 or visit the clinic at 560 E. Central Texas Expressway, Suite 102, Harker Heights, TX 76548.
6. April 2015 14:49
Asthma is a chronic respiratory condition that causes narrowing and inflammation of the airways. The condition leads to excess production of mucus, which makes it difficult to breathe and results in bouts of coughing, wheezing and chest tightness. Asthma attacks occur when an irritant triggers the already inflamed airways. The severity of the symptoms may vary from person to person. Some people may have minor issues whereas others may experience persistent problems, particularly during night or early in the morning. The condition can affect people of all ages but is most commonly diagnosed during childhood.
Although the exact cause of Asthma is not known, it may probably occur due to certain genetic factors. Other common triggers of the condition include:
- Airborne particle such as pet dander, dust mites, mold and pollen
- Physical activity
- Long term respiratory infections
- Certain medications
- Air pollutants such as cigarette smoke
- Viral infections
- Cold air
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Shortness of breath
- Pain in the chest
- Chest tightness
- Wheezing or whistling sound while breathing out
- Difficulty sleeping
- Wheezing attacks are worsened by viral infections, such as common cold
Acupuncture To Treat Asthma
Acupuncture is a widely used as an effective option for the treatment of mild to moderate spells of Asthma. In Chinese medicine, it is believed that Asthma is caused due to an imbalance of the protective energy (qi) and the body’s organ systems including lungs, kidneys and spleen. Acupuncture is aimed at restoring a balance between the two. Treatment for Asthma includes inserting needles near the lungs, kidney, stomach or bladder. These acupoints are selected depending upon the individual’s specific set of symptoms and the type of Asthma.
Asthma mainly involves inflammation of the nasal airways accompanied by a constriction of the bronchial tubes. This is due to the action of a smooth muscle that forms a lining on the airways’ walls. When an acupuncturist stimulates certain specific points on the body, it produces anti-inflammatory agents that naturally reduce the symptoms. It also attempts to decrease the smooth muscle constriction and, therefore, expanding the airway.
For more details on how acupuncture can help to treat Asthma, feel free to contact Corrective Chiropractic & Wellness. To schedule an appointment with the acupuncturists at the clinic, you can call us at (254) 698 - 1600 or visit 560 E. Central Texas Expressway, Suite 102, Harker Heights, TX 76548.
19. March 2015 18:18
Bipolar disorder is a manic-depressive psychological condition characterized by frequent mood swings. When suffering from the condition the patient feels hopeless and lethargic during the depressive phase, and remains constantly joyful and energetic during the maniac phase. These drastic fluctuations in the patient’s mood are often very difficult to handle and affect day-to-day life.
- Neurotransmitter Imbalances: Any sort of imbalance in the chemicals released by the brain is considered to be a major cause of Bipolar and other mood disorders.
- Genetic Traits: The condition is often seen in people with a first-degree relative having Bipolar Disorder.
- Biological Factors: People with Bipolar Disorder are found to have certain physical changes in the brain.
- Environmental Triggers: Traumatic life events, such as loss of a loved one, abuse or mental stress, can also cause Bipolar Disorder.
How Acupuncture can help to treat Bipolar Disorder
Acupuncture is a traditional Chinese medical practice that involves inserting fine needles at certain points on the skin. The treatment is aimed at maintaining the balance of the mind to experience stable modes and emotions. As people suffering from the condition experience a rapid shift of different mental states there is a need to restore balance between them.
During the treatment session, the acupuncturist evaluates the acupuncture points in the body. These specific points when inserted with needles are helpful in correcting mood swings, treat the root cause of the condition and promote tranquility on a deeper level within the mind. Inserting hair like fine needles into these points can help to open blocked nerves and reinstate balanced flow of energy from the surface to the organs. This energy, also known as Qi, is important for physical, emotional, spiritual and mental well-being of the patient.
Acupuncture therapy also helps the patient to have a control on his responses to stress by releasing feel good hormones or endorphins that promote wellness.
For more details on how acupuncture can help to treat bipolar disorder, contact Corrective Chiropractic & Wellness. To schedule an appointment with the acupuncturists at the clinic, you can call at (254) 698 – 1600 or visit 560 E. Central Texas Expressway, Suite 102, Harker Heights, TX 76548.