21. May 2015 13:24
Arthritis is a chronic degenerative condition causing pain and inflammation in one or more joints of the body. The multifaceted term ‘arthritis’ is used to denote more than 100 different types of joint conditions such as Osteoarthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Gout, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Fibromyalgia, Rheumatism etc. The condition is most commonly seen in people aged 65 years or more and can affect almost any joint like hips, knees, shoulder, elbow, ankle, wrist etc.
- Age related wear and tear in the joint cartilage
- Family history of Arthritis
- Abnormal metabolism
- Injury to the joint
- Overactive immune system
- Repetitive physical activity that puts strain on the joint
- Persistent or intermittent pain in the affected joint
- Redness and swelling
- Stiffness, particularly during the morning
- Limited range of motion
- Warmth and tenderness near the joint
- Pain increases after physical activity
- Grinding sensation when trying to move the joint
- Bone spurs
- Fatigue and weakness
How Acupuncture Can Help?
Acupuncture has long been known to be an effective option to relieve the primary symptom of Arthritis, i.e. pain, in three different ways:
- It triggers the release of endorphins in the body that impedes the patient’s ability to feel pain.
- By working through the nervous system, acupuncture restricts the sensory nerve fibers to transmit pain signals to the brain.
- Acupuncture neutralizes trigger points. These are the reactive areas, commonly found near the Arthritic joints, which are responsible for chronic pain.
Besides pain, acupuncture can also help relive or control other symptoms of the two main forms of Arthritis, Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis, in the following way.
- Osteoarthritis: It is characterized by a gradual wearing and build of calcium in the joint cartilage, restricting its mobility. Acupuncture, in this case, works by triggering the parathyroid glands to produce hormones that remove arthritic deposits from the bones.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: This condition is characterized by pain, swelling, warmth and redness in and around the arthritic joint. In order to provide relief to the patient, acupuncture triggers the adrenal glands to produce body’s natural steroid hormones that may reduce inflammation. It also works to inactivating the trigger points near the joints so that the patient does not feel any pain even after the inflammation has subsided.
We, at Corrective Chiropractic & Wellness, provide comprehensive acupuncture care for different types of Arthritis. To schedule an appointment with our acupuncturists, you can call at (254) 698 - 1600 or visit the clinic at 560 E. Central Texas Expressway, Suite 102, Harker Heights, TX 76548.
14. May 2015 20:10
Chiropractic care is important for the elderly due to the changes that occur in the spine with increasing age. The spinal discs, facet joints, ligaments, muscles and other spinal tissues become weaker, more fibrotic and less able to withstand normal stresses. Spinal pain is a significant musculoskeletal problem among older patients and chiropractic care can provide the much needed relief.
Benefits of chiropractic care in the elderly:
- Full range of motion: A misaligned spine and neck causes friction in the nerve endings, thus affecting the balance and co-ordination of the body. Chiropractic care helps in adjusting the spine, which enables full range of motion and increases mobility and flexibility in the body.
- Pain relief: Chiropractors are trained to pinpoint and treat misalignment in the vertebrae, which affects the central nervous system. They treat the abnormalities in the spine that causes severe pain in the elderly. Chiropractic care offers relief from pain, mild or chronic.
- Decrease in joint and tissue degeneration: A misaligned spinal cord does not function properly and thus, degenerates prematurely. Chiropractic care reduces the spinal stress, prevents early wearing out of the spine and the tissues around it. It helps in avoiding arthritic conditions in the elderly by bringing back the alignment of the spine to normal.
- Reduction in the risk of falling: Elderly people are more prone to falling due to spinal and nervous misalignment. Regular chiropractic care improves flexibility, movement, coordination and balance in the body. It normalizes the mechanoreceptors of the cervical spine, thus reducing the risk of falling in the elderly.
- Less requirement of assistance: Adults seeking regular chiropractic care are less prone to medical conditions such as Arthritis or Osteoporosis. They are inclined towards staying fit and being able to take care of themselves.
- Better health: Regular chiropractic care ensures a better quality of life, health and general well being of an elderly person.
- Curing insomnia: Due to many pain and aches it becomes difficult for the elderly to sleep. Relief from such problems with chiropractic care reduces insomnia and enables sound sleep.
- Better posture: Chiropractic care manipulates the spine and leads to better posture. It reduces muscle stiffness and helps in preventing certain medical disorders.
Chiropractic care, thus, helps to improve the quality of life and enables one to enjoy old age.
For effective chiropractic services for elderly, consult the chiropractors at Corrective Chiropractic & Wellness. To schedule an appointment, call at (254) 698 - 1600 or visit 560 E. Central Texas Expressway, Suite 102 Harker Heights, TX 76548.
7. May 2015 15:51
Chiropractic rehabilitation programs are designed to help the body heal quickly and lower the risk of injuries in the future. It involves the integration of multiple chiropractic therapies and exercises to target the underlying muscle imbalance and weakness in the body. Chiropractic rehabilitation assists in alleviating the underlying causes of pain in the body.
Corrective Chiropractic & Wellness clinic provides chiropractic rehabilitation services to the patients in Killeen, TX. The chiropractors at the clinic assist in healing and promoting health in the patients and devise individual treatment programs.
A chiropractic rehabilitation program at Corrective Chiropractic & Wellness mainly includes the following:
- Stretching Exercises: The chiropractors prescribe specialized stretching exercises to help the patients increase blood circulation to the affected area, improve joint flexibility and restore the normal range of motion.
- Strengthening Exercises: Chiropractic rehabilitation also involves strengthening exercises to regain the lost muscle strength. It not only helps to recover from injuries but also prevent them in future.
- Patient Education: The rehabilitation program lays special focus on educating the patients about the benefits of the exercises. The chiropractors design a tailored program to accommodate the individual needs of each patient considering their condition, preference and age.
Benefits Of Chiropractic Rehabilitation
- Effective Treatment For Sports Injuries: Chiropractic rehabilitation is an effective treatment option for a wide range of sports injuries of the musculoskeletal system. These injuries may occur while playing sports and can affect the joints in the body. Muscular adjustments bring back the joint to its normal alignment, allowing for correct movement and reducing the risk of potential problems.
- Improve Balance And Prevent Falls: Joint instability and muscle damage may result in unexpected falls and injuries. Chiropractic rehabilitation helps to strengthen the muscles and other connective tissues such as ligaments and tendons, to help patients lead a safe and pain free life. It also improves joint flexibility, posture and gait to prevent falls.
- Avoid Medication And Surgery: Chiropractic rehabilitation is a safe option to promote faster recovery from injuries. You can benefit from the stretching and strengthening exercises without any medications or surgery. It is a non-invasive technique to promote healing from injuries and muscle strength.
To know more about the chiropractic rehabilitation program offered at Corrective Chiropractic & Wellness, call at (254) 698 – 1600 or visit the clinic at 560 E. Central Texas Expressway, Suite 102, Harker Heights, TX 76548.
20. April 2015 13:44
Maintaining a good posture is very essential to maintain a healthy body. Posture affects each and every physiological function of the human body, right from hormone production to appropriate breathing. Many people have a distorted posture due to siting in front of the TV or computer screens for long hours. This can lead to forward head posture and drooping shoulders, which can cause back and shoulder pains.
Corrective Chiropractic & Wellness offers specialized posture correction services to assist people optimize the form and function of their bodies. Using a combination of posture exercises, chiropractic manipulations and tractioning procedures, they can help you attain as well as maintain the ideal posture.
Common posture problems treated at Corrective Chiropractic & Wellness include:
- Rounded Shoulders: This is a result of an uneven exercise routine and muscle imbalance. Over time, it leads to poor positioning of the shoulders and pain or stiffness in the neck.
- Hunchback: This is a common condition symptomized by an abnormal curvature of the upper back. Hunched back is usually seen in people who have poor sitting habits while working on computer.
- Pelvis Tilted Forward: This is associated with people who wear high heels, have excessive belly fat or are pregnant. Patients with this posture problem experience chronic pain in the lower back, leg weakness, improper blood circulation in lower extremities etc.
- Slouching In The Chair: The reason why most people sit slumped is due to weakness in the core muscles. It puts a lot of pressure on the ligaments, soft tissues and several other important structures in the lower back.
The chiropractors carefully analyze the spinal problems faced by the patient as well as the damage to the spine. This includes evaluating the spinal alignment and curvature, with a view to determine the contributing factors to the abnormal posture. Once these are identified, these can be corrected and the normal curvature of the spine can be restored. They perform spinal adjustments that gently move your vertebrae back into their original place and eliminate pressure from the muscles in your back, neck as well as shoulder.
For more information about the posture correction services offered by Corrective Chiropractic & Wellness, you can call at (254) 698 – 1600 or visit the clinic at 560 E. Central Texas Expressway, Suite 102, Harker Heights, TX 76548.
13. April 2015 13:39
Pregnancy comes along with a number of emotional, physical and physiological changes in a woman’s body to allow for the development of fetus in the womb. The body releases various hormones in order to relax the ligaments and make room for the baby. However, these changes, accompanied with an enlarged abdomen, prominently curved back and altered pelvic structure can lead to misalignment of the spine and other joints.
Perinatal chiropractic care is aimed at maintaining an optimal spinal and pelvic alignment, thus, providing for a more comfortable pregnancy and ultimately preparing for an easier birth. The Webster technique used by the chiropractors seeks to minimize the effects of sacral subluxation or SI joint dysfunction.
Benefits Of Perinatal Chiropractic Care
- Prevent Pregnancy Symptoms: Seeking perinatal chiropractic care can prevent or reduce the common symptoms associated with pregnancy. These may include nausea, back, neck and joint pain etc. Chiropractic adjustments can also help shorten the time spent in labor and delivery.
- Establish Pelvic Balance: During pregnancy, the uterus gets expanded and may lead to misalignment of the pelvis. This may cause pain and discomfort to the mother as well as the baby. Perinatal chiropractic care can help in eliminating pain by regulating body alignment and pelvic balance, allowing for a normal development of the baby.
- Help in Safe Delivery: Chiropractic adjustments help to align the body in a way that allows the baby to naturally take the proper position for delivery. This helps to make the delivery easier and minimize the chances of obstructed labor or C-section delivery.
- Relieve Post-Pregnancy Back Pain: Following childbirth, mothers may experience changes in the pelvic biomechanics. Simple chiropractic manipulations and stretching exercises can help to restore the pelvic balance. It can also help to relieve middle back pain as a result of breast feeding, bottle feeding or rocking the baby to sleep.
Perinatal chiropractic care is essential to maintain a healthy pre and post-natal period. However, you must take your doctor’s consent before opting for chiropractic adjustments. Also, the exercises should be performed carefully to avoid any sort of complication.
We, at Corrective Chiropractic & Wellness, offer complete perinatal chiropractic care for the would-be mothers in Killeen, TX. For more information, feel free to call us at (254) 698 – 1600 or visit the clinic at 560 E. Central Texas Expressway, Suite 102, Harker Heights, TX 76548.
6. April 2015 14:49
Asthma is a chronic respiratory condition that causes narrowing and inflammation of the airways. The condition leads to excess production of mucus, which makes it difficult to breathe and results in bouts of coughing, wheezing and chest tightness. Asthma attacks occur when an irritant triggers the already inflamed airways. The severity of the symptoms may vary from person to person. Some people may have minor issues whereas others may experience persistent problems, particularly during night or early in the morning. The condition can affect people of all ages but is most commonly diagnosed during childhood.
Although the exact cause of Asthma is not known, it may probably occur due to certain genetic factors. Other common triggers of the condition include:
- Airborne particle such as pet dander, dust mites, mold and pollen
- Physical activity
- Long term respiratory infections
- Certain medications
- Air pollutants such as cigarette smoke
- Viral infections
- Cold air
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)
- Shortness of breath
- Pain in the chest
- Chest tightness
- Wheezing or whistling sound while breathing out
- Difficulty sleeping
- Wheezing attacks are worsened by viral infections, such as common cold
Acupuncture To Treat Asthma
Acupuncture is a widely used as an effective option for the treatment of mild to moderate spells of Asthma. In Chinese medicine, it is believed that Asthma is caused due to an imbalance of the protective energy (qi) and the body’s organ systems including lungs, kidneys and spleen. Acupuncture is aimed at restoring a balance between the two. Treatment for Asthma includes inserting needles near the lungs, kidney, stomach or bladder. These acupoints are selected depending upon the individual’s specific set of symptoms and the type of Asthma.
Asthma mainly involves inflammation of the nasal airways accompanied by a constriction of the bronchial tubes. This is due to the action of a smooth muscle that forms a lining on the airways’ walls. When an acupuncturist stimulates certain specific points on the body, it produces anti-inflammatory agents that naturally reduce the symptoms. It also attempts to decrease the smooth muscle constriction and, therefore, expanding the airway.
For more details on how acupuncture can help to treat Asthma, feel free to contact Corrective Chiropractic & Wellness. To schedule an appointment with the acupuncturists at the clinic, you can call us at (254) 698 - 1600 or visit 560 E. Central Texas Expressway, Suite 102, Harker Heights, TX 76548.
19. March 2015 18:18
Bipolar disorder is a manic-depressive psychological condition characterized by frequent mood swings. When suffering from the condition the patient feels hopeless and lethargic during the depressive phase, and remains constantly joyful and energetic during the maniac phase. These drastic fluctuations in the patient’s mood are often very difficult to handle and affect day-to-day life.
- Neurotransmitter Imbalances: Any sort of imbalance in the chemicals released by the brain is considered to be a major cause of Bipolar and other mood disorders.
- Genetic Traits: The condition is often seen in people with a first-degree relative having Bipolar Disorder.
- Biological Factors: People with Bipolar Disorder are found to have certain physical changes in the brain.
- Environmental Triggers: Traumatic life events, such as loss of a loved one, abuse or mental stress, can also cause Bipolar Disorder.
How Acupuncture can help to treat Bipolar Disorder
Acupuncture is a traditional Chinese medical practice that involves inserting fine needles at certain points on the skin. The treatment is aimed at maintaining the balance of the mind to experience stable modes and emotions. As people suffering from the condition experience a rapid shift of different mental states there is a need to restore balance between them.
During the treatment session, the acupuncturist evaluates the acupuncture points in the body. These specific points when inserted with needles are helpful in correcting mood swings, treat the root cause of the condition and promote tranquility on a deeper level within the mind. Inserting hair like fine needles into these points can help to open blocked nerves and reinstate balanced flow of energy from the surface to the organs. This energy, also known as Qi, is important for physical, emotional, spiritual and mental well-being of the patient.
Acupuncture therapy also helps the patient to have a control on his responses to stress by releasing feel good hormones or endorphins that promote wellness.
For more details on how acupuncture can help to treat bipolar disorder, contact Corrective Chiropractic & Wellness. To schedule an appointment with the acupuncturists at the clinic, you can call at (254) 698 – 1600 or visit 560 E. Central Texas Expressway, Suite 102, Harker Heights, TX 76548.
11. March 2015 15:03
Chiropractic adjustments have been known to be an effective treatment option for neck and back pain, as well as other medical conditions of the spine and pelvic region. However, there are many other joints in the human body that can benefit from chiropractic care. These are known as extremity joints such as the jaw, elbow, shoulder, hips, knees, ribs, ankle, foot, hand and wrist. Just like the spine, the extremities can also have subluxations, fixations and restricted range of motion of the joint. These conditions may either be acute or chronic and can greatly benefit from extremity adjustments.
Patients experiencing the following symptoms can benefit from chiropractic extremity adjustments:
- Intense pain in the joint
- Stiffness and inflammation
- Weakness and instability
- Decreased mobility
- Tingling or numbness sensation
- Feeling that the joint may give out
- Catching or locking of the extremity joint
Benefits Of Chiropractic Extremity Adjustments
- Helps To Recover From Injuries: Extremity adjustments are one of the best ways to restore the normal alignment of your joints following an injury such as Tennis Elbow, Runner’s Knee or a Frozen Shoulder. It also helps to improve flexibility and joint movement, reduce pain and prevent the occurrence of injuries in the future. Extremity adjustments also shorten recovery period and reduce the need of taking anti-inflammatory medications.
- Improves Nervous System Functioning: When the spine and other bodily joints are properly aligned, the nervous system can efficiently transmit messages throughout the body. Thus, extremity adjustments play an significant role in the optimum functioning of the bodies mechanisms.
- Enhances Overall Health: Extremity adjustments not only help with a medical condition but can also help to enhance the overall health and functioning of the joints. Pressure on the joints due to regular typing work, wearing high heels etc. can be corrected with extremity adjustments.
- Minimizes Pain: If you experience any pain or discomfort while performing daily activities such as walking, climbing stairs, standing, sitting or running, it can be eliminated with extremity adjustments. It helps to resolve issues like weakness, numbness and tingling in the extremity joints caused due to TMJ dysfunction, rotator cuff problems and Carpel Tunnel Syndrome.
Corrective Chiropractic & Wellness is a renowned chiropractic clinic offering extremity adjustments for the patients in Killeen, TX. To schedule a consultation with our chiropractors, you can call at (254) 698 – 1600 or visit the clinic at 560 E. Central Texas Expressway, Suite 102, Harker Heights, TX 76548.
4. March 2015 16:02
Snoring is a common condition that occurs due to a partial obstruction in breathing when a person is asleep. Although mostly seen in men and overweight people, it can affect almost any one. Usually, snoring is not caused due to any serious medical problem, but it can significantly affect a person’s oxygen intake, sleep patterns, lead to REM sleep and can even cause conditions like Sleep Apnea.
- Obstruction In Nasal Airways: Sinusitis, a condition causing chronic congestion in the nasal airways due to a viral infection or allergy, can lead to occasional snoring. Deviated nasal septum, i.e. distorted partition in the nostrils can also be a possible cause.
- Poor Muscle Strength: If the tongue or throat muscles are too relaxed, they can easily collapse in the airway and cause snoring. Overweight people may also have narrowed airways due to the extra tissues in their throat.
- Alcohol Consumption: People who consume alcohol just before bedtime are likely to snore during sleep. This is because it relaxes the muscles of their throat and decreases their ability to defend against airways’ blockage.
- Sleep Apnea: Snoring is sometimes also associated with a serious condition known as sleep apnea. In this, the airways get partially or completely blocked by the throat tissues and impede normal breathing.
- Noise during sleep
- Excessive sleepiness during daytime
- Sore throat
- Disturbed sleep
- Difficulty concentrating
- Choking or breathlessness during night
- Moodiness and irritability
- Frequent urination during night
- Morning headaches
How Acupuncture Can Help?
Acupuncture is an effective treatment option for snoring and can help in the following ways:
- Treat Sinusitis And Other Nasal Infections: Acupuncture can help to treat snoring caused due to obstructed airways as a result of chronic Sinusitis. Inflammation of the nasal cavity can deprive it of adequate amount of oxygen and nutrients. Acupuncture aims at dilating the blood vessels, thus, allowing the repair of the tissues in the throat.
- Decreases Nasal Mucus: Snoring is a vibration in the throat caused due to the blockage of airflow through the nose. It is often seen with people who have recurrent colds and flu that does not let the mucus drain properly. Stimulating the acupuncture points help to improve snoring by increasing circulation in the nasal openings thus, allowing them to heal faster.
- Opens Blocked Nasal Passages: Acupuncture aims to unblock the nasal passages by restoring balance in the flow of energy within the body.
We, at Corrective Chiropractic & Wellness, provide complete acupuncture care for snoring and other medical conditions that may be leading to snoring. To schedule a consultation, you can call at (254) 698 – 1600 or visit the clinic at 560 E. Central Texas Expressway, Suite 102, Harker Heights, TX 76548.
18. February 2015 14:43
Back pain is a common medical problem that can affect people of all age groups. It can be triggered by a number of factors and can last from a few days to several months, if not treated properly. Back pain can either be dull and persistent or sharp and shooting.
- Muscle And Ligament Strain: Sudden twisting movements and repetitively lifting heavy weights can put a strain on the muscles and ligaments in the spine. Continuous pressure can also lead to muscle spasms and pain in the back.
- Ruptured or Bulging Discs: Discs provide cushioning and support to the vertebrae in the spine. At times, due to awkward bending movements, these discs are forced to break or stick out of the normal alignment that puts pressure on the spinal nerves. This condition may also cause back pain.
- Spinal Deformities: Abnormal curvature of the spine can also lead to back pain. For instance, Scoliosis, a condition causing the spine to curve to either side, is a major source of back pain.
- Osteoarthritis: It mainly affects the lower back, followed by upper and middle back. In rare cases, Arthritis can also lead to narrowing of the spinal canal, which further increases back pain.
How Acupuncture Can Help?
Acupuncture is a widely prevalent minimally invasive treatment option for back pain. It helps to control and eliminate the pain by shortening the recovery period and preventing it from developing into a chronic condition.
In order to treat back pain, the acupuncturist inserts fine needles into different parts of the patient’s body. These Acupuncture points may either be in the back (localized) or away from the site of the pain (distal). The needles used in the therapy may barely touch the skin or are inserted deep into the fat or muscle layers depending on the extent of the condition. The procedure is usually not painful as the needles used are extremely thin, however, some patients might feel a tingling sensation at the initial stage of the treatment.
Acupuncture therapy aims at relieving muscle spasms in order to restore the normal movement of the spinal vertebrae. This is essential for complete recovery from back pain. Acupuncture may also boost the release of natural steroids and endorphins in the body. Steroids help to reduce inflammation, whereas endorphins help to get rid of pain.
We, at Corrective Chiropractic & Wellness provide comprehensive Acupuncture care for patients suffering from acute or chronic back pain. To schedule an appointment, you can call at (254) 698 – 1600 or visit the clinic at 560 E. Central Texas Expressway, Suite 102, Harker Heights, TX 76548.