Spinal manipulation is a manual therapy practiced by chiropractors to treat chronic low back pain besides various other ailments. The manual therapy involves massage, exercises or physical therapy to manipulate the spinal cord and relieve pain as well as stress off the back.
The therapy can be carried out either to help the patient find relief from the prevailing symptoms or to rectify spinal misalignments, if present. It is based on the premise that displaced bones (vertebrae), muscles and nerves lead to pain in the low back. The body’s self-defense mechanism is hampered when the spinal cord is misaligned or the nerves are unable to carry transmissions across the body.
Low Back Pain
Low back pain is a complex ailment which may occur due to various causes and thus needs a holistic treatment plan. It is generally caused due to inflammation of the muscles, nerves, bones, discs or tendons in the lumbar spine. The pain can vary from mild to severe and be either localized or radiate to other parts of the body, particularly lower extremities. In most cases, the condition is not severe and subsides on its own within a few days. However, if low back pain is a result of an underlying medical condition, it may last for several weeks or even months.
- Age related wear and tear of the lumbar spine may increase a person’s chances of suffering low back pain
- Injury to the ligaments, tendons and muscles in the lower back may also be a potential cause
- Poor postural habits put excessive stress in the lower back, thus leading to pain
- The condition may also be caused due to lifting heavy weights, excessive or forceful twisting, bending from the waist or extending forward to reach for something
- Medical conditions such as Scoliosis, Spinal Stenosis, Degenerative Disc Disease etc. may increase the likelihood of developing the condition
Process Of Spinal Manipulation
The process begins after an initial clinical examination of the spine, patient’s medical history and the existing symptoms. An X-ray imaging may be required to analyze the position of vertebrae (subluxations) in the spinal column. Some range of motion tests and neurological assessments may also be conducted.
Spinal manipulation is carried out by applying sudden concentrated force or stretching a specific joint or the entire spinal column. In addition to manual adjustments, the practitioner may also use cryotherapy, heat therapy, traction, electric stimulation, or ultrasound to enable deep tissue stimulation and healing. The patient experiences a popping or cracking sound in the point where the pressure is applied just like cracking knuckles. In some cases, an instrument may be used to apply pressure on particular vertebrae.
How Does Spinal Manipulation Benefit?
Given below are some of the benefits of a spinal manipulation therapy:
- It is a completely safe and non-invasive and holistic method of treatment
- It reduces internal swelling and inflammation of the nerve roots
- The nerve functioning is greatly enhanced
- It restores the natural balance within the body by improving the circulatory system
- The process is targeted at relieving pain from a particular part of the body
- There is no permanent change made to the spinal cord
- The overall physical functionality of the spine is improved and the range of motion can be effectively restored
- Joint Cavitation- gases such as nitrogen, oxygen and carbon-dioxide trapped between the joint spaces are released which reduces joint pressure
- The natural therapeutic measures are used in spinal manipulation, such as heat, massage, ice packs, which exert beneficial effects on the body and promote healing
- Nutritional counseling and lifestyle modification may also be provided to enable the patient in coping up with the condition better
If you are suffering from acute or chronic low back pain, visit Corrective Chiropractic & Wellness for comprehensive treatment. The chiropractors at our clinic specialize in using spinal manipulation and other techniques to restore the flexibility as well as strength of the lower back. Patients in Killeen, TX can call at (254) 698 – 1600 to schedule an appointment with the chiropractor.