20. September 2016 15:34
Whiplash can be defined as a common injury that occurs due to a sudden and rapid movement of the neck to the front, back or sideways. It involves overstretching of the muscles and ligaments that support the neck. The condition is most commonly seen in people who are involved in a rear-end auto accident, physical abuse, sports accident or other trauma. Though Whiplash is not a serious injury in most cases, it may lead to chronic pain and discomfort if not treated properly.
- Hyperextension of the neck in motor vehicle accidents
- Shaken Baby Syndrome
- Physical assault, such as being punched
- Direct blow to the head with a heavy object
- Repetitive stress to the neck
- Horse riding
- Football tackles and other sports related injuries
- Violent backward jerking of the head
- Moderate to severe pain in the neck
- Pain in the head and base of the skull
- Stiffness and swelling
- Muscle tension
- Tenderness in the neck, shoulders or arms
- Numbness and tingling sensation
- Pain may increase while trying to move the head
- Difficulty sleeping
- Constant fatigue
- Ringing sounds in the ear
- Concentration and memory problems
- Jaw pain
How Chiropractic Treatment Can Help?
Chiropractic treatment for Whiplash involves gentle manipulations and exercises to restore the functionality of the cervical spine. Depending upon the severity, exact location and cause of the patient’s injury, the chiropractor may use the following manipulation techniques:
- Flexion-Distraction Technique: This involves using a slow pumping action to treat a vertebral disc that may have herniated or bulged due to the Whiplash injury. This may help to reinstate neck mobility and promote a faster healing.
- McKenzie Exercises: These exercise programs are specifically designed to reduce the disc problems that are usually associated with the injury. Performing stabilization exercises may also be recommended to help the patient avoid faulty neck movements and increase muscle strength so that they are better able to maintain stability of the cervical spine.
- Manual Stimulation: The chiropractor may stimulate the neck or apply pressure to the specific muscle groups in order to relieve tension. In case of excessive muscle tension, electrical stimulation or ultrasound therapy may also be used to reduce inflammation.
In addition, the chiropractor may also suggest certain lifestyle changes and therapeutic exercises to restore the normal range of motion of the neck.
We, at Corrective Chiropractic & Wellness, offer complete treatment for Whiplash and various other neck injuries. To schedule an appointment with our chiropractors serving Killeen, TX, you can call at (254) 698 – 1600.
13. September 2016 20:02
A headache can either be an infrequent problem or can be more severe, persistent and chronic. It is not a life threatening problem but can be a major cause of discomfort for the individual. Over-the-counter medications are the most commonly adopted measure for headaches but these may have various side effects. Chiropractic is a drug-free and non-invasive treatment option being practiced across the world to provide relief from headaches.
- Stress or tension
- Improper dietary habits such as skipping meals or not getting adequate nutrition
- Lack of sleep
- Mood swings
- Change in weather may trigger headaches in some people
- The trigeminal nerve is believed to cause cluster headache which can be chronic. It is characterized by pain on one side of the head and the face
- High blood pressure
- Spinal subluxation
- Poor eyesight
How Does Chiropractic Treatment Help?
All the nerves that govern the functioning of the head and the neck are linked to the spinal cord. Subluxation may disrupt the alignment of the vertebrae and consequently affect the blood supply to the head. A chiropractor aims at correcting this subluxation and helping the patient lead a pain-free life. The treatment may involve the following options:
- The chiropractor may analyze the medical history of the patient and factors that aggravate the pain.
- He may also assess the posture, spinal alignment and the range of motion.
- He may conduct X-rays or nerve conduction tests to examine the root cause of the condition as well as devise a treatment plan accordingly.
- Depending upon the severity of the condition, a patient may either experience relief in a single chiropractic session or may even require multiple sessions.
- Chiropractic care helps to improve gait, posture, spinal strength, respiration, blood supply and coordination of body functions. This helps to treat the underlying cause of headaches.
- The chiropractor may also recommend certain exercises or lifestyle modifications to the patient that can help to prevent recurrence of headache.
- He may provide nutritional advice if headache is caused due to an improper diet
- He may physically manipulate the spine to relieve stress and alleviate any misalignments. It may also provide relief from muscle tightness and stress.
We, at Corrective Chiropractic & Wellness, offer treatment for headaches and other medical conditions. Patients in Killeen, TX can schedule an appointment by calling us at (254) 698 – 1600.
6. September 2016 16:02
Neck pain is a common medical condition that may affect anybody irrespective of age, gender or physical wellbeing. The pain may last for a few days or may become persistent depending on the underlying cause. The neck, or cervical spine, is a delicate body part that comprises of small bones called vertebrae which form a part of the spinal column. The neck helps to maintain the balance between the head and rest of the body. The fact that the neck is flexible and supports the entire weight of the head makes it more prone to strain.
Causes of Neck Pain
- Maintaining a poor posture for a considerable period of time. Sitting, slouching or standing in a wrong way may cause neck pain
- Occupational stress- Some activities require the workers to repetitively cringe or extend their neck. For example, painters need to stretch their neck and arms for too long
- A collision or fall
- Physical combat
- Sleeping on an uncomfortable bed or using a very soft pillow
- Sleeping on the stomach
- Whiplash- A sudden jerk to the front, back or side of the neck may damage the soft tissues, strain the ligaments and tendons resulting in pain
- Pinched Nerve- Disruption in the normal alignment of the vertebrae may cause them to impinge upon the adjacent nerves
- Long working hours
- Degenerative Disc Disease
When to see a chiropractor?
You need to schedule an appointment with a chiropractor if:
- If the neck pain persists even after following conservative treatment options such as application of ice packs, changing your sleeping habits or position, using a firm pillow or doing neck exercises, you need to seek proper treatment
- If the pain has subsided even after talking a prescribed course of anti-inflammatory medications
- Inability to turn your head left or right at shoulder level
- The neck pain occurred after a collision, fall or motor vehicle accident
- If you experience numbness, tingling or pins and needles sensation in the upper arms, hands and fingers
- The pain is maximum when you get up in the morning and then subsides during the day
The chiropractor may assess the prevalent symptoms, check the range of motion, review the medical history, time and mode of injury to diagnose the causes of neck pain. An X-ray or MRI imaging may be done to check the alignment of the vertebrae and rule out any to the soft tissues or bone structure.
Chiropractic treatment for neck pain may involve physical manipulation of the spine to re-align the vertebrae to eliminate the cause of the condition. Trigger-point therapy, ultrasound and electrical stimulation may also be recommended to release stress from the muscles that support the neck.
For comprehensive treatment of neck pain, visit Corrective Chiropractic & Wellness. To schedule an appointment with the chiropractors, you can call at (254) 698 – 1600.
19. August 2016 13:15
Stiff neck is a common problem experienced by a lot of people. The poor postural habits and long hours of sitting jobs eventually take a toll on the neck’s strength as well as mobility. The neck, or cervical spine, consists of seven vertebrae that are interconnected by discs and many other structures such as various ligaments, tendons as well as nerves. Injury or overuse of any of these ligaments may lead to stiffness, ultimately causing pain and limiting the range of motion of the neck.
- Muscle strain or sprain
- Sports injuries
- Sleeping in an awkward position
- Repeated bending or sideways twisting of the neck
- Poor posture
- Keeping the neck in a stressful position for long time, such as holding the phone between neck and shoulder
- Neck conditions such as Osteoarthritis, Degenerative Disc Disease, Meningitis etc.
- Mild to severe pain in the neck
- Muscle soreness and tightness
- Difficulty moving the head from side to side
- Pain may radiate to the shoulders, arms and upper back
How Chiropractic Treatment Can Treat Stiff Neck?
Chiropractic treatment has been effective in helping patients find relief from stiff neck and reinstate its normal range of motion. During the initial appointment, the chiropractor may examine the neck and inquire about any injury. He may also ask the patient to move the head in different directions to identify the movements that trigger pain. An X-ray may also be conducted to diagnose the underlying cause of neck stiffness.
Pain caused due to abnormal neck movement or overextension and displacement of the cervical vertebrae can be treated by manual chiropractic adjustments. The chiropractors many manually stimulate the patient’s neck to re-align the vertebra to their normal position and relieve stiffness.
The chiropractor may perform tractioning procedures to maintain a correct posture which, in turn, helps to minimize stress on the cervical spine. He may also check and measure the natural curve of the spine to provide targeted adjustments.
A customized rehabilitation program may be formulated to help the patient recover from the injury. The chiropractors may recommend certain exercises to strengthen the neck and reduce muscle weakness as well as imbalance.
We, at Corrective Chiropractic & Wellness, provide comprehensive treatment for stiff neck and many other medical conditions. We use advanced chiropractic techniques to treat the root cause of the pain. Patients in Killeen, TX can schedule an appointment with the chiropractor by calling at (254) 698 – 1600.
12. August 2016 17:30
Chiropractic care is an alternate form of treatment which involves manual stimulation of the spine in order to achieve a balance and promote healing within the body. A growing fetus inside the womb brings about many changes in the body as it stresses the spine and pelvic area. This creates imbalances within the body and leads to nerve stress. Chiropractic care can be of great help to ease the physiological discomfort during pregnancy and prepare the mothers for a safer delivery. Some chiropractors are specifically trained to work with lactating mothers and those trying to conceive.
Given below are some benefits of chiropractic care during pregnancy:
- The spine is greatly stressed during pregnancy and tends to develop an abnormal curvature. Chiropractors can help to reduce the stress, pain and maintain a normal curve.
- Women who are planning to conceive can greatly benefit from chiropractic care as it helps to normalize the menstrual cycles and regulate hormonal levels to increase fertility.
- Inserting pressure on specific parts of the spine can improve blood supply to the reproductive organs and enable their better functioning.
- Chiropractic methods can prevent the chances of breach birth as well as promote a normal delivery. The baby’s positioning can be maneuvered by stimulating the spine in a manner that it pushes towards the cervix and induces labor pains.
- Non progressive labor due to disproportion at the pelvic outlet can also be rectified by chiropractic care.
- It improves blood flow within the body and helps the pregnant woman lessen the discomfort caused by swollen feet, legs or hands.
- The general discomforts related to pregnancy such as hip and back pain, nausea and morning sickness can be eased with chiropractic care.
- The therapy also helps to strengthen the spine and uterus as well as prepare the body for birth. Thus, it can reduce time spent in labor by the mother
- Chiropractic treatment balances the ligaments, supporting muscles as well as the bones of the pelvis which prevents the occurrence of intrauterine constraint.
- A balanced nervous system may reduce the likelihood of postpartum depression.
- Lactating mothers can greatly benefit by getting the spinal anomalies removed as it helps in maintaining a better posture while feeding.
- Chiropractic care is not only helpful for mother but also the baby by providing sufficient space for development and eliminating the trauma caused at the time of birth
Corrective Chiropractic & Wellness offers comprehensive perinatal chiropractic services near Killeen, TX. The chiropractor has extensive experience in working with pregnant women to alleviate the common symptoms during the gestation period and facilitating an easier labor. To schedule an appointment with the chiropractor at the clinic, you can call at (254) 698 – 1600.
5. August 2016 14:58
Shoulder Impingement is an orthopedic condition characterized by inflammation of the rotator cuff bursa (fluid filled sac) or tendons (strong connective tissue structures) within the joint. Once inflamed, the tendon may rub against the bony structure of the shoulder blade and cause discomfort. The rotator cuff is an important group of muscles that help to maintain the stability of the shoulder. These muscles keep the upper end of the humerus within the socket and therefore any injury or problem in this part may lead to joint instability.
- A direct fall on the shoulder or arm
- Overuse injury
- Repeated overhead movement of the arm
- Partial or complete tendon tears
- Deposition of calcium deposits in the joint
- Postural problems
- Congenital abnormalities such as small or narrow sub-acromial space
- Weakness of the supporting muscles
- Shoulder Immobilization for a considerable period of time
- Wear and tear due to aging
- Pain which may increase with the movement of the arm
- Swelling and redness
- Limited range of motion
- Pain may radiate downwards to the elbow and forearm
- Discomfort while lying on the affected shoulder
- A feeling of the joint or surrounding muscles giving out
Benefits Of Chiropractic Care
Chiropractic care is an alternative form of therapy which aims at stimulating the nerves and spinal cord to establish proper alignment of the vertebrae which, in turn, control the functioning of other organs. The chiropractor may follow a series of processes to treat Shoulder Impingement. These may include:
- The treatment may begin with a thorough evaluation of the patient’s medical history and symptoms. Imaging tests may be conducted to diagnose the root cause of the problem
- The chiropractor may manually stimulate the spine to adjust the vertebrae and cure any structural abnormalities.
- The muscles and soft tissues in the shoulder joint may be treated by electrical stimulation to restore their functioning as well as strength. It may also help to regulate the blood flow to the joint.
- The patient may be suggested to perform certain exercises to ease out the symptoms as well as prevent aggravation of the condition.
The chiropractors at Corrective Chiropractic & Wellness specialize in the treatment of Shoulder Impingement and various other medical conditions. Patients in Killeen, TX can call at (254) 698 – 1600 to schedule an appointment with the chiropractor.
21. July 2016 17:37
Lower Crossed Syndrome, also known as Distal or Pelvic Crossed Syndrome, refers to the weakness of muscular strength in the pelvis. The condition is characterized by an imbalance between the muscles in the lower part of the body, particularly the lower spine. The gluteus (muscles in the bottom of the hips), abdominal muscles, hip flexors and hamstrings are involved in this condition. It occurs when the gluteals and hamstring muscles are weak while the hip flexors and back muscles are tight or tensed. Chronic Lower Crossed Syndrome may eventually lead to dysfunctional joints and make the back prone to injuries.
- Poor postural habits
- Sitting for long duration
- Inherent weakness of the core muscles that support the spine
- Prolonged immobilization
- Loss of neuromuscular control
- Overuse injury
- Improper weight lifting techniques
- Lordosis- Abnormal bending of the spine
- Limited range of motion
- Chronic pain in the lower back, hips, knees and legs
- Inability to sit or stand upright for long
- The abdomen tends to protrude
- Muscle spasms
- Detailed clinical evaluation of the patient’s symptoms, posture, gait and lower back
- X-ray imaging to check the bone structure
- MRI scan may reveal soft tissue problems
- The patient may be asked to perform some specific physical movements to assess the severity of the problem
- Chiropractic treatment aims at understanding and treating the root cause of the condition. It is based on the premise that the entire body is controlled by the spinal cord which sends signals to various organs. Therefore, stimulating the spine can help to cure or reduce the severity of many medical conditions. Chiropractic treatment for Lower Crossed Syndrome may involve:
- Using gentle pressure and specific exercises to relieve tensed muscles in the pelvis
- Strengthening the gluteal muscles
- Manipulating the spine to relieve pain and stiffness
- Improving flexibility and mobility of the spine as well as lower pelvis
- Improving body balance
- Posture correction by stimulating the spine
- Boosting musculoskeletal coordination and functioning
The number of chiropractic sessions required to treat the condition may depends upon the severity of the symptoms.
For diagnosis and treatment of Lower Crossed Syndrome, visit Corrective Chiropractic & Wellness. We use advanced techniques to identify and treat the underlying cause of the condition. Patients in Killeen, TX can call at (254) 698 – 1600 to schedule an appointment with the chiropractors.
14. July 2016 21:01
Herniated Disc is a condition characterized by degeneration of discs in the spine. It can compress the spinal nerves and cause pain as well as numbness. The condition can occur due to sudden bending, twisting, improper lifting techniques, aging etc. People involved in activities that put strain on the spinal joints are at higher risk of developing Herniated Disc. If left untreated, the ruptured disc can cause permanent nerve damage. You should consult a chiropractor for immediate treatment.
Following preventive tips can help to strengthen the spine muscles and minimize the risk of Herniated Disc:
- Managing weight: Being overweight can shift the body’s center of gravity and strain the spine muscles. Maintaining an ideal body weight reduces pressure on the intervertebral discs, minimizing the likelihood of herniation.
- Maintain good posture: It is essential to keep your back straight while sitting, standing and sleeping. Proper support should be provided to the back in order to prevent pain. You should use comfortable chair to avoid slouching and maintain correct posture.
- Exercise: Performing certain exercises can help to improve the strength of spine muscles. It is important that you consult a chiropractor for an effective exercise program. He may recommend stretching exercises to enhance the flexibility and mobility of the spine.
- Stay hydrated. Since the spinal discs are made up of water, sufficient hydration is essential to keep them healthy. This can help in stimulating the flow of nutrients required for proper nourishment of the spinal discs. Drinking adequate amount of water can also help to remove toxic wastes and protect the spinal joints.
- Rest your spine: If your job requires prolonged sitting, make sure you take breaks at frequent intervals. Sitting for long hours can compress the spinal nerves and cause pain. It can also reduce the stability of the spine.
- Avoid smoking: Smoking can reduce the supply of oxygen and rupture the vascular structure of the spinal discs. Thus, avoiding this habit can not only lessen the risk of developing Herniated Disc but also improve the overall strength of the spine.
- Chiropractic Adjustments: Seeking regular chiropractic adjustments according to your requirements can reduce the stress on spine muscles. It can also help to maintain the proper alignment of the spine and improve its functioning.
We, at Corrective Chiropractic & Wellness, provide chiropractic treatment for Herniated Disc and other spine conditions. The chiropractors identify the underlying cause of the condition and provide effective treatment. To schedule an appointment with the chiropractors serving Killeen, TX, you can call at (254) 698 – 1600.
7. July 2016 21:33
Neck Arthritis, also known as Cervical Osteoarthritis and Cervical Facet Syndrome, can be described as the gradual deterioration of the facet joints in the cervical spine. These joints maintain stability, provide flexibility and allow for the bending as well as twisting movement of the neck. Present at the posterior part of the neck, the facet joints connect the adjacent vertebrae (C2 to C7) and are surrounded by a cartilage lining as well as a lubricating synovial fluid. When the cartilage begins to wear out, it may cause the bones to rub against each other and deteriorate further. The condition is most commonly seen in the elderly and can cause intense pain as well as discomfort in the neck.
- Age related degeneration
- Previous neck injury
- Repetitive bending or twisting the neck
- Poor posture, such as slouching in the chair
- Improper lifting techniques may strain the neck
- Pain and stiffness, particularly in the morning
- Pain may increase after physical activity and subside with rest
- Formation of bone spurs
- Limited range of motion
- Pain in the shoulders, arms, hands or upper back
- Frequent headaches
- Tenderness near the joint
- Pins and needles sensation
- Popping sound while trying to move the neck
- Loss of balance and difficulty walking
How Chiropractic Treatment Can Help?
Chiropractic treatment has been effective in relieving the symptoms of Neck Arthritis as well as preventing further wear and tear of the facet joints. The chiropractor may must physically examine the neck and evaluate the symptoms experienced by the patient. He may conduct an X-ray, CT scan or MRI to identify the severity and exact location of facet joint damage. Depending upon the findings of the test, the chiropractor may recommend the following treatment options:
- Spinal Manipulations: The chiropractor may perform manual adjustments to correct misalignments and restore mobility of the cervical spine.
- Ultrasound Therapy: This involves the controlled application of heat to the injured soft tissues in the neck. Ultrasound therapy helps to reduce pain, reduce swelling and relax muscle spasms. It also increases blood flow to the facet joints, thereby promoting recovery.
- Exercises: The patient may be advised to perform certain stretching exercises to improve the flexibility of muscles surrounding the cervical spine. This helps to cease the wearing out of the facet joints.
- Posture Correction: The chiropractor may also use certain fractioning procedures and chiropractic manipulations to help the patient maintain an ideal posture and avoid straining the neck.
Corrective Chiropractic & Wellness provides comprehensive treatment for Neck Arthritis. To schedule an appointment with the chiropractors serving Killeen, TX, you can call at (254) 698 – 1600.
23. June 2016 18:47
Chiropractic health care system aims to restore and enhance healing by manipulating and re-aligning the spine. It is based on the premise that the entire body and its functioning are governed by the spinal cord. Hence, manipulating and restoring the alignment of the spine promote transmission of nerve signals as well as help the body function properly.
Millions of people across the world are obese with a high BMI owing to a sedentary lifestyle, unhealthy eating habits and higher stress levels. Chiropractic care is beneficial both during and after the weight loss process. The holistic approach adopted by chiropractors enables a person to lose weight in the healthiest possible manner.
Benefits Of Chiropractic Treatment During Weight Loss
- Rectify Spinal Subluxation- The vertebrae in the spine are aligned in a way that allows the nerve roots passing through them to relay messages all over the body. Misalignments in this structure may occur due to various reasons and hinder the functioning of the body. This can be a potential cause of weight gain. Chiropractic treatment helps identify the exact location of displaced vertebrae and restore their normal position
- Chiropractors aim to identify the root cause of obesity and thus aim to rectify the cause giving long term results
- Relieves mental stress which aids in weight loss
- Proper alignment of the spine allows the body to absorb essential nutrients from the food and promote weight loss
- Chiropractors also provide nutrition and exercise guidance to further assist in weight loss
- The body can absorb and utilize more oxygen, which increases the effectiveness of workout
- Helps tone up the muscles and prevents fat deposition in the adipose tissues
- Improves digestion, energy levels, metabolism and establishes a proper posture
- Aids in improving hormonal imbalances which are a major cause of weight gain
Benefits of Chiropractic Treatment Post-Weight Loss
The center of gravity (COG) is a hypothetical point within the body where the entire body mass is concentrated. This COG shifts as you gain or lose weight. The change further alters the amount and location of pressure exerted on the hips, legs, feet and back. Chiropractic treatment helps adjust this center of gravity post weight loss so that the patient is able to move easily without stressing the body. It helps to keep all the body organs balanced and coordinated.
The chiropractors at Corrective Chiropractic & Wellness can help you lose weight and lead a healthy life. To schedule an appointment with the chiropractors serving Killeen, TX, you can call at (254) 698 – 1600.